May 6, 2009

Organizing and Evaluating Search Information

Search


I have no idea why Blogger puts a large gap between this and the table below. I realise it is a wysiwyg editor but it is a pain when you need to add formatting.


In searching for academic articles on the Attention Economy:
















Search Terms Hits in Google Hits in Google Scholar
attention + economy +(university or college) 226,000,000 1120
"attention economy" +(university or college) 60,600 815

Organising the search task



URL1: http://books.google.com.au/books?id=FuuKd3on9psC&dq=attention+economy+user+OR+web&lr=&source=gbs_summary_s&cad=0


Author: Blackwell, T & Beck, J.


Title: The Action Economy


Institution: Published by Harvard Business Press


Blurb: Helps individuals and organizations understand how to effectively give and get attention, one of the biggest commodities--and scarcest-- in the new economy.(Blackwell, 2001)



URL2: http://scholar.google.com.au/scholar?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&hs=zja&q=author:%22Blackwell%22+intitle:%22Investment+of+attention+as+an+analytic+approach+to+...%22+&um=1&ie=UTF-8&oi=scholarr


Author: Blackwell, T & & Green, T.R.G.


Title: Investment of Attention as an Analytic Approach to Cognitive Dimensions


Institution: Universities of Cambridge and Leeds


Blurb: Looks at the interaction of humans and computers and structures this in terms of:

  • an estimated potential value

  • an estimated cost

  • an estimated risk

(Blackwell, 1999) and defines these in terms of user activities.



URL3: http://scholar.google.com.au/scholar?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&hs=zja&q=author:%22Blackwell%22+intitle:%22Investment+of+attention+as+an+analytic+approach+to+...%22+&um=1&ie=UTF-8&oi=scholarr


Author:Nachmias, R & Segev, L


Title: Usage of Content in Web-supported Academic Courses


Institution: Tel-Aviv University, School of Education


Blurb: Looks at the design of on-line university courses and presents their findings and suggestions on the efficiency of student usage.



My methods of storing this information


Although I investigated the tools suggested I found that I did not have time to master them before commencing the current task. I updated and re-organised my Google Bookmark site to include detailed folders for Curtin > NET11 > Assignment > Attention Economy. I stored the most relevant articles in similar folders in Microsoft Word and then printed them for easier reading and noting.

No comments:

Post a Comment